Mold Cleaning Controversy at St. James Elementary School
Horry County Schools and Myrtle Beach’s St. James Elementary are making headlines for all the wrong reasons. Extensive mold growth in over 20 locations in the school lead one parent to post photos and encourage others to call the HCS superintendent.
Horry County Schools called an “outside company” to conduct a cleaning of the areas, which the company claims is representative of industry standards.
Mold Cleaning Odor Send Students Home Sick
When students returned to school on February 4, some started feeling sick from a strong odor, and the school confirmed that several went home due to the effects of a strong fragrance. The cause: “air freshener” packs placed in vents to cover the chemical cleaners used to remediate mold in ceilings and around HVAC ducts. It should be noted that the company completing the work says that all chemicals meet EPA standards.
Mounting frustration about the safety of the cleaning has parents and grandparents of HCS students meeting with Horry County School board members to discuss the state of the school building.
Safe and Effective Measure for Mold Remediation
The news raises the issue of mold removal and cleaning, and its effectiveness and safety. MasterTech Environmental of Myrtle Beach employs a rigorous 12-step process for removing, cleaning, and preventing mold:
- Mold Assessment: The initial assessment is the most important step in developing a safe and effective mold remediation plan.
- Containment Barriers: Barriers are put in place to avoid cross-contamination of the unaffected areas of your property.
- Cover and Protect: Covering floors, furniture, and possessions will keep them safe during the mold remediation.
- Air Filtration: HEPA air filtration devices are used to keep the indoor air quality safe and clean during the remediation process.
- HEPA Vacuum: HEPA vacuums are used to remove surface mold spores from contaminated building materials.
- Demolition and Removal: Contaminated building materials are surgically removed from the property, double bagged, sealed and taken away.
- Apply Antimicrobial: An antimicrobial agent is applied to affected areas to destroy surface mold and aid in the surface cleaning process.
- Embedded Mold Removal: A concentrated hydrogen peroxide agent is applied to remove embedded mold roots and minimize staining.
- Scrub and Wipe Clean: All surface mold is scrubbed, wiped, and cleaned off of affected or contaminated building materials.
- HEPA Vacuum Again: HEPA vacuuming is done again after cleaning to completely remove any remaining mold spores and roots.
- Mold-Proof Coating: A clear, mold-resistant coating is applied to cleaned surfaces to help prevent mold from reoccurring.
- Confirm Cleanup: Perform a post-remediation inspection to verify that cleanup was successful and the property is safe.
Mold Removal and Cleaning You Can Trust
MasterTech Environmental of Myrtle Beach is committed to providing the Myrtle Beach area with the safest and most effective methods for removing and cleaning mold.
To learn more about our services, or to get a free estimate, visit our website.